Virginia Giuffre, who alleges she was trafficked by disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein and forced to perform sex acts with the prince at the age of 17, “still hasn’t committed to a date or location for her deposition,” the source added.
Giuffre’s lawyer David Boies last month said in a statement that her legal team was looking “forward to confronting Prince Andrew with his denials and attempts to blame Ms. Giuffre for her own abuse at his deposition and at trial.”
Andrew, 61, has repeatedly denied Giuffre’s allegations.
The legal drama currently playing out stems from a civil case Giuffre brought against Andrew under New York’s Child Victims Act, a state law enacted in 2019 which expanded the statute of limitations in child sex abuse cases to give survivors more opportunities to seek justice. An attorney for Giuffre told CNN in August filing the civil case was to show “all perpetrators of abuse should be held accountable.”
Andrew has until July 14 to potentially answer questions about the case under oath. If the case is not settled, he could face a trial date between September and December 2022.
The case could have major ramifications for Buckingham Palace. It would be unprecedented for a senior British royal to be entangled in a very public civil lawsuit that would attract attention from around the world.